UHRS, Universal Human Relevance System is a crowdsourcing platform by Microsoft used for improving search engine Bing. This is a work from home money making opportunity. There are millions of people around the world it calls them ‘Judges’. Judges/Contractors can work from home and get paid for doing simple tasks such as text annotation, image annotation, video annotation, search relevance and speech transcription tasks. Basically UHRS provides human intelligence to train algorithms of AI applications/tools, products and machine learning models.
UHRS has partnered with different vendors to hire contractors. These companies act as a mediator between you and UHRS. You can only access UHRS through one of such vendor. All the money you make completing tasks on UHRS is transferred to website you used to enter UHRS through. This way these websites handles billing/invoices and payment for UHRS.
List of Vendors to access UHRS
Joining the UHRS is simple enough. After signing up on vendor website you have to look for UHRS project/ Assignment. You need have windows live id. A Windows Live ID is your e-mail address and a password that you choose, after you’ve signed up on Microsoft website. You need to pass a simple English language quiz and you will gain the access to UHRS. You can complete the whole process in hour or two and start earning.
Though joining is simple. Work is not readily available. The work is available through Hit App. At any time 5 to 25 Hit Apps are available. You need to qualify for Hit App by passing simple test based on 2 to 10 page long Hit App guidelines. Hit Apps are having Hits these are the number of task that Hit Apps currently have. Hits are tend to distinguish very fast. You need to constantly look for availability of Hits. Some Hit Apps available for one time some are for few days. Very Few Hit Apps are available for long time. It is advisable that if you are not having tasks available on your main long tem projects like Internet Assessor/ Ads Assessor or Map Analyst make the time for UHRS. Or if you are student and not having any long term project trying UHRS is worth. Or if you are having lot of free time it is a fun to work on UHRS and earn some money. Ideally one can make $100 to $200 on UHRS. Every Hit Apps rate vary depending on the complexity. There are some times gold mines to be found UHRS.
Lionbridge calls this position Search Engine Evaluator. Position is not always available. They make it available 1 or 2 times in a year. We do not recommend Lionbridge for UHRS work because if you join this position you cannot work on other highly paying positions on Lionbridge. There are other vendors where this position is nearly always available.
Appen is one of the biggest and best crowdsourcing website which offers UHRS access to its users. Join Appen (connect) and login. Go to all projects and Find a project that requires Microsoft live ID. Apply for the project. You will receive an email after few days containing all the information about how to get your own UHRS account. The UHRS project is not always available. Appen takes a long time to clear your application. While advantage is you can simultaneously work on other long term projects on Appen.
Join Clickworker and log into your account. Look for UHRS assignment. Or you can check a job listing about UHRS under available jobs tab. A link will lead you to the UHRS but before you can get your UHRS account, you must complete assessments UHRS I and UHRS II available in assessment section in your Clickworker account. They are normally available most the time of a year. You will also need to create a Live ID. Clickworker guides you through the whole process. Remember the access remains valid for 8 hours. You are required to visit UHRS through Clickworker again. Your UHRS earning will be transferred to Clickworker account at the end of every week. Clickworker will automatically send the money through the pay-out option you have chosen after holding the UHRS earning for a three weeks.
Clickworker is also having some side gigs readily available to earn some extra buck. Mainly these are data collection projects where you can upload photos, videos or voice collection. I recommend Clickworker as it is simple to setup, UHRS is nearly always available and you have some side gigs available to do when work is not available on UHRS.
Oneforma is part of PacteraEDGE, a global digital and technology services company headquartered in Redmond, WA, USA. They are in data, intelligence, experience, and globalization, providing inventive solutions in AI and Digital Transformation space. With a massive community of collaborators in over 200 countries and clients around the globe, Pactera EDGE delivers human-centric solutions to complex business challenges.
OneForma is an online platform that offers a large variety of jobs to work from home with a flexible schedule. Apart from UHRS they also provide job in translation, transcription, testing as well as collecting or labelling data from a variety of sources (photos, videos, voice recordings, etc.), among other tasks. Some projects do not require previous experience, just meeting some basic requirements or passing the job-specific certification successfully.
Though relatively new this is very promising platform. UHRS is always available to you need to pass an English language quiz which they call certification to gain access. Apart from data collection project they are having translation/transcription project available. There is high chance that they will be soon competing with Lionbridge and Appen on long term project. I highly recommend you the Oneforma for UHRS as chances of getting other long lasting project from them are high.
Possibly the slowest way to get access the UHRS. Log into your teamwork account and find out if there is a job about search engine evaluation. Apply for it. They will email you if there is a position.
Types of work on UHRS
- Image Annotation – Like classifying images, object detection, semantic segmentation, image detection, boundary recognition etc
- Search Relevance – Identifying query-result, relevance events, entity classification etc.
- Text Annotation – Sentiment analysis like identifying sentiment of a social media post, document classification, intent of query etc.
- Speech Transcription – Converting audio/conversation into text, relevance tasks etc.
- Video Annotation – Video relevance for a given search query, detection of objects in a video, video tracking etc.
- Other Tasks – Data collections jobs, data validation tasks, surveys, Information moderation/correction
- HIT Apps – Hit Apps are like projects. A Hit App contains tasks and all the necessary information a judge needs to know like number of tasks/hits available, earning per hit, time a hit takes to be completed, guidelines, preview etc.
- HITs – Hit App contains tasks which are called hits. A task in UHRS is called HIT. No. Of available hits in a HIT App are updated in every 15 minutes.
- Spam Accuracy – Valid judgement you have made out of total judgement. When you are doing actual hits, HIT App throws testing hits to check if you are following guidelines or not while working. Spam accuracy is derived out your score in testing HITs. If your spam accuracy is low, you can be disabled temporarily or permanently from doing HITs on a HIT App.
- Train – Some HIT Apps may require training. You are required to train yourself by doing sample HITs before you encounter real HITs. When you complete a training HIT. HIT App will show a message whether your judgement was right or wrong with logical explanation.
- Qualify – After completion of training, you are required to pass qualification test by judging HITs they already know answers of. There will be a certain number of qualification attempts varies with HIT Apps. Obviously you are supposed to score good in Qualification Test. Reading guidelines and instructions really helps here.
- Start – If you see this button, you no longer require training or pass qualification and are ready to judge. However I will advise you to read guidelines before you start judging.
Start attempting tasks you are qualified for. Initially after a few judgements, you should go to report section to check how good you are going and spam accuracy is above the required. Each HIT App has its own rules. Some HIT Apps will disable you as soon as your spam accuracy goes below 80% while some may allow you to continue even if it’s as low as 55%. Don’t rush through tasks. Don’t be greedy. Take your time and try to be a good judge. Your reputation may bring you more tasks. HIT Apps and tasks are updated in every 20-30 minutes. So keep refreshing after every few minutes if you don’t see available tasks.
To avoid temporarily or permanent suspension from using a HIT App, always perform tasks you are really good at. Pay attention to guidelines. Better find other tasks relevant to your liking if you see too many red alerts during training even after reading guidelines thoroughly.
Stay logged in for an extended amount of time.Cover more time by partnering with a friend. Avoid disqualification while working on a Hit App. Pass the Qualification, even if no Hits are available. Some Hit Apps are not for you. Getting banned from Hit App is normal. If they make changes or come with new guidelines for that particular Hit App you will get chance again to qualify. If you banned from Hit App for first time it is normally temporary ban and ask you to come back tomorrow. I advise you to wait for 7 days as Hit Apps consider last 7 days Spam Accuracy.
It depends upon a lot of factors like your skills, availability of hits/tasks at your location etc. I have done tasks that earned me $7 per hour and then I have participated in tasks that only made $2 to $3 per hour. You can expect a pay rate of $3 to $6 per hour. Earning per HIT depends upon difficulty level of HIT, skills required and time it takes to be completed. All that you earn doing small tasks during a week will be sent to website you have joined UHRS through which you can withdraw using one of available pay-out option.